Monday, March 23, 2015

Smiles in the aisles cartoons - relevant to Washington University and Omar El-Ghazzawy

This is interesting:
http://www.deltamuseum.org/about-us/blog/from-the-hangars/2015/03/16/75-years-of-smiles-in-the-aisles

In 1991, I interviewed at Washington University's Physical Facilities office, and, was, later, verbally hired, by phone. But, I was put on hold for six months, and, the position was eliminated.

During this time, the W.U. newspaper advertised for a cartoonist.  I submitted a cartoon, about an airline stewardess, on an airline, to a guy at his apartment in west St. Louis County.  The guy told me his mother worked in the Chemistry Dept., and, I thought he was a student.  I have no idea who this guy really was, and, he, immediately asked me if I wanted to go out to eat somewhere, next.

Really, at that time, I was starving, and needed money.  I can't tell you how much I was insulted, and, instead of answering, I just left.

He had the cartoon, and, since I was not a student there (or hired, yet, at that time), I don't know if the cartoon was ever published.

I don't think he understood what I did to draw the cartoon.  I don't  know if he had in mind to pay me, but, I was interested in talking money.  I wasn't interested in a personal relationship with him, and, only, wanted to find work here, in St. Louis.  This area was much different from New York, at that time, in 1991.  He had the cartoon - I can't show that to anyone, now, or, again - or, ever.

You know, years later, I was invited to help teach in the Systems Science & Mathematics Computer Lab in the School of Engineering.  The Dept. of Chemistry is not really related or nearby, but, the guy (this was a computer person who serviced the entire campus)  who I referred to by W. Davis Van Bakergem, in the School of Architecture (I blogged about him in at least one earlier posting) had his office in the Dept. of Chemistry.  So, I met Omar El-Ghazzawy in 1996, but, this was not the same guy who I had met in 1991.   The office that Omar had in the Dept. of Chemistry was full of empty computer boxes, and his paperwork, but, not much of a sit-down office, at all.   The space was used for storage, but, he had a campus mailbox in the Dept. of Chemistry (if I remember correctly).  There was a lady who worked there, but, I have no idea who she was, and, don't remember her name (probably not relevant, and I don't think anyone's mother, at this time.  She could have been, though, someone's mother).

The cartoon, really, was like this article "smiles in the aisles".  This is the picture in the article, which is so much like my cartoon was (my cartoon was not about cookies and coke, though):



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

naturally like your web site however you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts.

Many off them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it
very bothersome to inflrm the reality however I'll surely
come again again.

Anonymous said...

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while
you amend your website, how can i subscribe
for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
I had ben a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea